About Me

My photo
This blog is for the purpose of all things related to the kitchen. This includes recipes, cool gadgets, and little anecdotes. Enjoy!

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

How Do You Like Your Cabbage?

....SLAW SLAW SLAW!

I love salads. My ideal meal is one or two main dishes and a lot of different interesting salads on the side. One thing I have learned in Israel is that they don't understand the idea behind a big leafy salad. Whenever I make my own salad in university and ask for lettuce I always end up with a couple of sad looking pieces and them standing there waiting to hear how I want to fill the rest of my salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, and chickpeas. Needless to say, I get funny looks when I ask for more lettuce.

Living on my own has also proven a challenge to my salad making. Whenever I opt for the healthy choice and decide to make myself a salad, all I ever seem to find in my fridge is old wilted lettuce and mushy tomatoes. For some reason in my mind the next logical move is to pick up my phone and dial the pizza store (ignoring the fact I have a produce store around the corner which is open at all hours of the day!)Before you know it, a pizza is delivered to my house, so obviously I'm have to eat it. I just still can't figure out how that happens....so much for being healthy.

All that being said, that is one of the biggest reasons I like this cabbage salad. I can buy a couple bags of already chopped cabbage and they last me much longer than lettuce. The ingredients are so simple and I can put together this salad before my hands have a chance to reach for the phone. Being a student, I have adapted this recipe to fit the contents of my kitchen, so the measurements aren't so exact. Even if it tastes a little different every time I make it, it is always delicious.




Cabbage and Ramen Noodles Salad

1 package of chopped cabbage
1 package of instant ramen noodles
1 cup of olive oil
1/2 cup of sugar
2 teaspoons of soy sauce
 1/2 teaspoon of vinegar

1. put the cabbage in a bowl and sprinkle the raw noodles on top. 
2. combine the dressing (possibly adding more sugar or soy sauce depending on your preference)
3. mix all together

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment