About Me

My photo
This blog is for the purpose of all things related to the kitchen. This includes recipes, cool gadgets, and little anecdotes. Enjoy!

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A Heart Attack Continuation




I have loved red meat ever since I tried ribs for the first time on my trip to Florida with my grandparents years ago. Growing up I never had the opportunity to eat it so frequently since my father is very good about not eating meat in order to stay healthy.


In my quest to learn how to make delicious meat and put my cholesterol through the roof, I decided to try my favorite meat of all...corned beef. Your first thought might be why does she like the corned beef cold cut that much?? Well, don't get me wrong thats delicious as well. But this cut of meat is the kind you buy at the butcher, it is normally a brisket which has been pickled. The beauty of corned beef is that you boil it before cooking, so it is always soft no matter what.

The way I make corned beef, as learned from my mother, is by boiling it in water for about 2-3 hours. I then let it cool and slice it nice and thin. I make a great glaze out of ketchup and mustard and poor that on top of the meat and bake it for 30-45 minutes in the oven.

What is great about this recipe is that you can freeze it at any stage so it can be prepared earlier to save time. When I make it, I often freeze it after boiling and only defrost it the day I want to serve it and then glaze it right before the meal.

I strongly believe if you don't try this recipe you are really missing out!


Corned Beef Glaze

1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
3 tablespoons vinegar
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons mustard 

heat all ingredients together in a sauce pan on a low flame and poor onto already sliced corned beef. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30-40 minutes, until sauce is sticky. 

No comments:

Post a Comment